Lawyers are always looking for new and innovative ways to market their legal practice. In today’s digital age, one of the most effective marketing tools is Instagram. Instagram allows lawyers to reach a large audience of potential clients with minimal effort. As a matter of fact, Instagram boasts over one billion monthly active users.
In this blog post, we will discuss how lawyers can use Instagram to grow their legal practice. We will cover topics such as creating an effective profile, posting high-quality content, using hashtags strategically, and leveraging other features of Instagram, such as stories and ads.
Optimize your law firm’s Instagram profile
Your Instagram profile is one of the first things potential clients will see when they find your law firm on Instagram. It’s important to make a good impression with your profile, as it will determine whether someone decides to follow you or not. Here are some tips for optimizing your law firm’s Instagram profile:
- Use a clear, high-quality profile photo. This could be your law firm’s logo or a headshot of one of the lawyers.
- Use an interesting and descriptive bio. Include information about your law firm’s practice areas, location, and contact info.
- Use relevant hashtags in your bio. This will make it easier for potential clients to find your law firm when they’re searching for legal help on Instagram.
- Use a link to your law firm’s website in your bio. This will make it easy for potential clients to learn more about your law firm and contact you if they’re interested in hiring you.
Here’s a good example of an optimized page:
Firstly, it includes a high-quality logo as the profile photo. Secondly, they let prospects know that services and consultations are available virtually, which is convenient. Kormans LLP also uses its 320+ Google reviews as social proof to establish authority. Lastly, they use a call to action for their podcasts and docuseries.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your law firm’s Instagram profile makes a good impression and is easily found by potential clients.
Post content on a regular basis
Once you have an optimized Instagram profile, it’s time to start posting high-quality content. Content is the bread and butter of any social media marketing strategy, and it’s no different for lawyers on Instagram. That’s why 50% of businesses agree that content marketing is one of the best strategies for communicating with an audience.
When creating content for your law firm’s Instagram page, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Variety is key. Don’t just post photos of yourself or your law firm’s office. Instead, mix things up with videos, infographics, quotes, and anything else that will capture your audience’s attention.
- Focus on quality over quantity. It’s better to post one high-quality photo or video per week than to post several low-quality posts every day.
- Use hashtags strategically. Hashtags can help you reach a wider audience on Instagram, but you don’t want to use too many of them, or else your content will look spammy. Choose a few relevant hashtags for each piece of content and use them sparingly.
- Take advantage of Instagram Stories. Stories are a great way to share behind-the-scenes content, highlight new blog posts or articles, and give your audience a peek into your law firm’s day-to-day operations.
- Use Instagram ads. Ads are a great way to reach a wider audience and promote your law firm to potential clients who may not be following you yet.
By posting high-quality content on a regular basis, you can keep your audience engaged and attract new followers. We’ll touch more on some of these strategies in a moment.
Use hashtags to increase your reach
Hashtags are a powerful tool that can be used to reach a wider audience on Instagram. When used strategically, hashtags can help you connect with potential clients who are looking for legal help. One of the best ways to research them is to search Instagram for “#” followed by practice areas.
Here are some tips for using hashtags:
- Do your research. Not all hashtags are created equal. Some are more popular than others, and some are more relevant to your law firm’s practice areas. Do some research to find the most popular and relevant hashtags for your content.
- Use a mix of general and specific hashtags. General hashtags (such as #lawyer or #legaladvice) will help you reach a wider audience, while specific hashtags (such as #divorcelawyer or #DWIlawyer) will help you reach a more targeted audience.
- Use hashtags in your bio. In addition to using hashtags in your posts, you can also use them in your law firm’s bio. This will make it easier for potential clients to find your firm when they’re searching for legal help on Instagram.
- Use branded hashtags. A branded hashtag is a hashtag that is specific to your law firm, such as #SmithLawFirm or #JonesAndAssociates. Using a branded hashtag can help you promote your firm and make it easier for potential clients to find your content.
That brings us to our next point.
Watch what your competitors are doing
Your competitors are also using Instagram to market their law firms, so it’s important to keep an eye on what they’re doing. By monitoring your competitors’ activity, you can stay up-to-date on the latest trends and find new ideas for marketing your own firm. For example, you can use Google Alerts to be notified any time a competitor or industry has news and updates.
Here are a few things to look for when you’re checking out your competitors’ Instagram pages:
- How often are they posting?
- What type of content are they posting?
- What kind of engagement are they getting? (Likes, comments, shares)
- What hashtags are they using?
- Are they running any ads?
- Are they using any creative or innovative content marketing strategies?
You don’t need to copy your competitors’ every move, but it’s important to stay informed about what they’re doing. This will help you stay one step ahead in the ever-changing world of social media marketing.
Host an Instagram Live Q&A
Instagram Live is a great way to connect with your audience in real-time. You can use Instagram Live to answer questions, give advice, and build relationships with potential clients. And because it’s live, viewers can ask you anything they want—no holds barred!
Here are a few tips for hosting a successful Instagram Live Q&A:
- Promote your event in advance. Let your followers know that you’ll be going live so they can tune in. You can promote your event on your other social media channels, in your email newsletter, or on your law firm’s website.
- Keep it focused. Choose a specific topic for your Q&A and stick to it. This will help you stay on track and avoid getting sidetracked by irrelevant questions.
- Take questions in advance. If you’re worried about running out of things to say, you can take questions in advance from your viewers. Just be sure to let them know that you’ll be doing this so they don’t feel like their question went unanswered.
- Make it interactive. Ask your viewers to comment or ask questions throughout the session. This will help keep them engaged and encourage them to participate.
- Follow up after the event. Thank your viewers for tuning in and invite them to contact you if they have any further questions. You can also promote any upcoming events or content that you’ll be sharing in the future.
Post Instagram Stories
Similar to Instagram Live, there are Stories. Stories disappear after 24 hours, making them perfect for timely updates, announcements, and news. You can use Stories to give your followers a behind-the-scenes look at your law firm, share client testimonials, or answer frequently asked questions.
An example of an Instagram Story viewed on desktop.
Using calls to action (such as “swipe up to learn more”) is a great way to encourage your viewers to take action. Use them sparingly, however, as too many calls to action can be overwhelming and turn people off.
We also recommend keeping it short and sweet. Because Stories only last for 24 hours, you don’t need to worry about oversharing. Keep your Stories short and to the point so that viewers don’t get bored or frustrated.
Lastly, use engaging visuals. People are more likely to watch your Story if it’s visually appealing. Use high-quality images and videos, and avoid using too much text.
Engage with followers and other profiles
Social media is all about being social. Naturally, that needs to be incorporated into your legal practice’s Instagram marketing strategy.
Make sure to like and comment on other peoples’ posts, especially if they’re in your target market. By engaging with others, you’re more likely to get noticed—and you might even make some new friends along the way.
You should also take the time to respond to comments on your own posts. This shows that you care about what your followers have to say and that you’re willing to engage in two-way communication.
Invest in Instagram Ads
Instagram ads are a great way to reach potential clients who may not be following your law firm’s page yet. Ads allow you to target a specific audience with laser precision, and they can be very effective in generating leads for your business. When creating an ad campaign on Instagram, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Define your goals. What do you want to achieve with your ad campaign? Do you want to generate awareness for your law firm, or do you want to drive traffic to your website? Once you know what your goals are, you can create an ad campaign that’s specifically designed to achieve them.
- Choose the right format. Instagram offers a variety of ad formats, including photo ads, video ads, carousel ads, and Stories ads. Choose the format that best fits your goals and budget.
- Select the right call to action. A well-crafted call to action can be the difference between a successful ad campaign and an unsuccessful one. Make sure to choose a call to action that’s relevant to your target audience and aligned with your goals.
- Set a budget. Decide how much you’re willing to spend on your ad campaign. Keep in mind that you’ll need to pay for each click or impression that your ad receives.
- Monitor your results. Once your ad campaign is up and running, take the time to monitor your results. This will help you see what’s working and what isn’t so that you can make necessary adjustments.
Final thoughts on Instagram marketing for Lawyers
Instagram, like other social channels, is a great platform for lawyers to generate traffic, awareness, and leads. However, you must use it correctly, or your budget and resources will be wasted. Here’s a recap of the main strategies we outlined today:
- Optimize your legal practice’s profile.
- Post content on a regular basis.
- Use hashtags to extend your organic reach.
- Analyze your competitors.
- Host a live Q&A.
- Post Instagram Stories.
- Engage with other users.
- Invest in to Instagram Ads.
Want to advance your legal marketing skills? Explore our online courses.