With the amount of work required to keep a law firm thriving, we know you don’t have time to research, much less consider which legal billing software could make your life easier. That’s why we’ve done the tough part for you.
We’ve researched available legal billing software companies and rounded up our top 5. We analyzed a variety of factors including each tool’s features, benefits, pricing, and user rating. We only selected the most robust software with 360-degree service options, offering the highest performance, based on their user ratings (more than 4.5 stars on over 100 reviews).
Here are 5 top legal billing software for law firms.
What is legal billing software?
Legal billing software is a type of accounting software that helps law firms manage their finances, including invoicing clients and tracking payments. This software can automate many of the tasks associated with billing, such as creating invoices, issuing reminders, and recording payments.
Why do law firms need legal billing software?
There are several reasons why law firms might need legal billing software. First, this type of software can save the firm time by automating many of the tasks associated with billing. Second, it can help the firm keep track of its finances and ensure that bills are paid on time. Finally, legal billing software can help the firm manage its client relationships by providing accurate records of payments and invoices.
Clio is a top choice for legal billing software, even after over 1,000 reviews. It stands to reason this would make it in our top options since its system handles everything from client intake, to case management and billing.
- Pros: Aside from the robust services this software offers, we like that it has over 200+ Integrations available, making it easy to implement, no matter where you are in your accounting software journey.
- Cons: This software has concerns revolving around customer service. In one case, the software offered no warning about a scheduling conflict, in another, the use of an emergency support service was disrupted, causing negative customer feedback.
- Pricing: They offer a free trial and four levels of subscriptions, all priced per user, per month: EasyStart ($49), Essentials ($79), Advanced ($119), and Complete ($149). Annual subscriptions save $10/mo. on lower two tiers and $20/mo. on the two higher.
Mycase is another 360-degree software, found valuable by over 14,000 legal firms. The software boasts a 38% increase in your caseload just by using the software and a gain of over 3 billable hours per day.
- Pros: Users highlight the client text message feature along with the other case management features of this software.
- Cons: While documents look fine online, they are template-based, so downloading the right format of documents needed for printing out, is difficult.
- Pricing: They offer a free trial and three levels of subscriptions, all priced per user, per month: Basic ($49), Pro ($69), and Advanced ($89). Annual subscriptions save $10/mo.
Soluno’s legal billing software offers free data conversions for some of the more popular solutions in industry software. It was designed specifically for law firms, promising you to get your money faster with custom billing arrangements and advanced invoicing features.
- Pros: Customer service and onboarding are the favoured reviews of this software, with one firm noting that they were able to add feature suggestions that were “actually implemented.”
- Cons: The reports are not customizable and difficult to locate, according to some users.
- Pricing: Licenses start at $79/month (Save $8/mo with annual). The price is a sliding scale that is decreased based on the number of licenses you need. There are no long-term commitments or setup fees with this software.
Zola Suite is a cloud-based legal billing solution that seamlessly connects front and back-office billing into one streamlined service. They offer a complex suite of billing service tools as well as complete business and trust accounting.
- Pros: Zola Suite is praised for being wonderful to work with by their clients, with some noting it is a good software for smaller firms.
- Cons: Users seem to have problems with the implementation of the software. One noted that any features that are of concern are explained in greater detail, rather than made more efficient.
- Pricing: They offer a free trial and three levels of subscriptions, all priced per user, per month: Core ($649), Enterprise ($89), and EnterprisePlus ($99). Annual subscriptions save $10/mo.
CosmoLex software is a cloud-based software with build-in compliant legal accounting. It boasts the ability to eliminate the need for multiple platforms to manage your firm, with its built-in LawPay and QuickBooks® alternative.
- Pros: Customer service is a huge benefit for this software, with one client noting they remained on the phone for hours to resolve any questions they had. It has also received praise for its continual updating and the fact that it is user-friendly.
- Cons: If you are a larger law firm, this just isn’t the software for you. Many reviews site difficulty of use, only fitting the needs of a solo or smaller law firm.
- Pricing: They offer a free trial as well as a $95/mo./user price for firms with 10 or fewer users. Firms requesting more than 10 users need to call for a quote. Annual subscriptions save $10/mo. on the overall cost, but it is billed all at once.
Final thoughts on the best legal billing software
Legal billing software can be one of the best investments your law firm makes to save time while invoicing, calendaring, and managing similar tasks. There you have it, the good, the bad and the cost of some of the top legal billing software options available. To further aid your search here are a few pro-tips to consider:
- Before getting on the phone with a software company, jot down one or two non-negotiables, or things you most need to be addressed. Think of areas where, if they were more efficient, you would be able to service more clients. This way won’t be distracted by features you may not need.
- Choosing software to run your company needs to be seamless and actually be able to help you do your work more efficiently. Before committing to software, ask about their onboarding procedures. If there are a lot of steps in the conversion or implementation, it will likely bog down your employees from the start and likely frustrate those involved.
- Try free versions of software and schedule demos to make the best purchasing decision.
If you need help choosing the best legal billing software or scaling your digital marketing, schedule a free consultation with our team today.