68% of law firms increase their focus on marketing due to internal pressure. With rising competition and endless changing trends, it’s critical that attorneys continually improve their marketing efforts to grow.
One of the most effective ways to generate leads and market a legal practice is through online directories. Avvo and FindLaw are two popular choices. If you’re stuck on the fence about which one to invest in, you’re in the right place. Read on to learn about both services so that you can make an educated decision.
What is Avvo?
Avvo is a review site for lawyers that features comprehensive profiles of attorneys, articles on legal topics, and answers to frequently asked questions. Additionally, it has an online directory of over 260 million businesses in the United States as well as its own blogging platform where you can publish your thoughts to help attract new clients.
At WiseMedia, we help attorneys and law firms improve their digital presence to drive revenue. If you need help setting up profiles or with other marketing campaigns, schedule a free consultation with us.
What is FindLaw?
FindLaw is a service for finding information about the law, attorneys, and courts. Activities include research, legal documents filing, and communication concerning cases. Findlaw provides services to lawyers who use its site as an advertising vehicle; it also offers a subscription-based version of its website’s content to non-lawyers for personal use on their own computers or mobile devices. It has been in operation since 1995 but was preceded by LawFinder which had ceased operations in 1993 before being revived under new ownership in 1994.
If you’re investing in lead generation services as a lawyer, naturally you want to ensure you’re getting your money’s worth. Let’s discuss exactly what you get by growing your practice with Avvo.
You can claim a free directory listing to increase your visibility on search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo. Enter your first and last name, city, and click “Find your profile.”
If a profile for your practice already exists, you can claim it. Otherwise, you can create an account.
This free profile includes a headshot, contact information, practice areas, resume, peer endorsements, and reviews.
Avvo Advanced offers more marketing features to generate leads and increase your online visibility, including:
- More in-depth profile information to highlight your credentials and expertise.
- Q&A’s that improve your credibility and likelihood of clients being interested in your services.
- Reputation management services.
- Calendar scheduling with screening questions.
Avvo Elite is Avvo’s complete marketing solution that enables attorneys to engage and convert more prospects. By upgrading, you gain access to:
- All of Avvo Advanced’s features including an enhanced profile, higher position in Avvo’s directory, social reputation manager, online scheduler, and more.
- Targeted advertising through display ads, sponsored listing, and other channels that help you generate leads.
- Analytics and reporting to measure the ROI of advertisements.
- An assigned account manager to help you every step of the way.
Last but not least, Avvo offers responsive and custom-designed websites for attorneys. You can learn more about our web design services for law firms as well.
Avvo’s websites help attract more viewers, increase security, and showcase your knowledge to convert clients. You can choose from dozens of website templates and color choices to perfectly match your brand. Avvo will also help you import existing content for your current website to make the process simpler. Or, you can begin from scratch.
Since web design is extremely complex and fragile, we recommend hiring experts like our team at WiseMedia. We’ve helped hundreds of attorneys acquire more clients and beat competition through digital marketing services.
How much does Avvo cost? This depends on the package you choose. For example, Avvo Starter which offers a basic profile is free.
Avvo Advanced begins at $125/month and offers more marketing features to increase your online visibility.
Avvo Elite requires you to contact their team for pricing as it is customized to your exact goals and budget.
Similarly, you have to schedule a demo for Avvo’s website service to learn more and get a quote.
FindLaw is owned by its parent company Thomson Reuters. They have a network of businesses and services that help law firms grow and attract clients. Because of this, they offer a much wider range of solutions compared to Avvo.
One service FindLaw offers is mobile-friendly attorney websites. These custom-fitted websites give clients a great customer experience, generate traffic, and ultimately help you close more prospects. Websites built by FindLaw include:
- Award winning design that doesn’t just look good but encourages visitors to take action
- Professional sales copy and content that speaks the language of legal consumers.
- Search engine optimization to give your firm long-lasting visibility on platforms like Google.
- Mobile-friendly layouts that work on any screen.
- Analytics and reporting to take the guesswork out of your site’s performance.
You must request a quote from them directly to get pricing information.
Next, FindLaw offers a variety of digital advertising and marketing services. Some of them are:
- PPC: Have your pay-pay click campaigns managed by experts. They handle everything from creating ads, custom landing pages, and more to maximize advertising ROI.
- Content marketing: Blog posts, whitepapers, and other content creation services that drive traffic and leads.
- Web chat: Set up livechat solutions on your website to book meetings with prospects and increase opportunities
- SEO: Get authoritative content, credible backlinks, improved website code, and more to improve search engine presence. (Learn more about our law firm SEO solution.)
Online directories are one of the best marketing channels for lawyers. They allow you to create a public profile that can be found by prospects and potential partners. Profiles include a link to your website, information about your practice, service areas, social networks, and more.
Attorneys can pay a fee to create a profile on FindLaw that looks like this:
It includes information such as your location, email, website, social profiles, practice overview, reviews, and more.
How much FindLaw costs depends on the exact service you choose. For example, premium lawyer profiles start at $125/month based on the size of your practice. This, of course, is more than Avvo’s free profile feature but approximately the same as Avvo Advanced.
FindLaw’s lead generation, website, and other marketing services require you to contact them for a custom quote. This is very similar to Avvo’s model as well.
Final thoughts on Avvo vs FindLaw
Avvo and FindLaw are both valuable tools for lawyers interested in generating leads, improving their online presence, and growing. However, which one is better?
Keep in mind that you can begin for free with Avvo’s basic profile feature. Both Avvo and FindLaw’s premium profiles are $125 although Avvo Advanced offers more tools for the same price.
Websites developed by either require you to contact their company for a demo or custom quote. If you need a website that converts more leads for your practice, however, learn more about WiseMedia’s law firm web design services.
Another important fact is that FindLaw offers a wider variety of marketing services if you’re interested in solutions beyond an online directory profile, website, etc.